“Behind virtually every abortion is an unintended pregnancy.”
Source: The Alan Guttmacher Institute (Planned Parenthood)
- Nearly half of all pregnancies to American women are unintended; four in 10 of these end in abortion.
“Unintended” – this is the result of the contraceptive mindset.–Pro-Life Action of OR
- About half of American women have experienced an unintended pregnancy, and at current rates more than one-third (35%) will have had an abortion by age 45.
- Overall unintended pregnancy rates have stagnated over the past decade, yet unintended pregnancy increased by 29% among poor women while decreasing 20% among higher-income women.
- In 2005, 1.21 million abortions were performed, down from 1.31 million abortions in 2000.
- Nine in 10 abortions occur in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.
- A broad cross section of U.S. women have abortions:
- 56% of women having abortions are in their 20s;
- 61% have one or more children;
- 67% have never married;
- 57% are economically disadvantaged;
- 88% live in a metropolitan area; and
- 78% report a religious affiliation.